Happy New Year! I hope you have been able to recover from the holidays, and that after spending time with family and friends, you are also able to spend some me time.
In our last blog post we shared a way to debrief and take stock of the year that was. In this second part, as part of your personal strategic planning process, it’s time to think about your goals and plan. The process is similar to strategic planning for an enterprise, but this time for yourself.
As before, we have some questions to prompt your thinking and reflecting. So have your pen and paper, put on your music, and let’s dive right in.
In thinking about your vision, think about what's important to you. What do you want to see in the future? What kind of world do you want to help build? What is your vision of the kind of person you want to be, the lifestyle you want to provide for yourself and your family? What impact you want to have in the world and how you will make it a better place?
As with corporate or businesses, the mission is your raison d'etre, your reason for being. What is your role in creating this better world?
"Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” - Howard Thurman
Like the Japanese concept of Ikigai, this is a combination of what you are passionate about, what your are best at, and what only you can do. Here are a couple of questions to help you
What do you love to do? What brings you joy?
What do you currently give your energy to?
What three things inspire you the most?
What three things do you spend on and will always have money for?
What is your superpower? What do people usually go to you for?
What goals will bring you closer to achieving your vision. What do you want to accomplish this year. Think about your goals around
- Managing or reducing debt
- Increasing sources of incoming
- Reducing expenses
- Physical health
- Mental health
- Sustainable living
- What quality time would you like to spend with those most important to you
- And of course, quality is not enough, quantity is important too
- Is there any relationship you need to let go of
- How is your relationship with yourself?
🎗 Giving Back
- No matter how much we have, we can always give back. Think of all the blessings you've received and think about how to pay it forward
- You can share not only financial blessings but also your time and expertise through volunteering
- This can be goals around your career. Do you want to handle more responsibility? Do you want a promotion?
- This can be goals around starting a new business or finding a side hustle
- What will you do to further improve yourself and reach your potential?
- How will you show up this year?
- What new skills will you learn?
A personal strategy involves
- Determining your top three to five priorities for the year
- Understanding your own strengths and weaknesses
- Determine the broad initiatives that you need to do to achieve the goals. Ask yourself- what trees need to be planted today to secure the future I want. For example for your health goals, you may want to eat more greens, make sure to get regular medical and dental check ups, get enough good quality sleep
- Break Down one year goal into quarters
- Break down quarterly goals into months
- Determine the actions and resources needed to achieve the goals. What is the critical path? Are there any prerequisites? For example to get regular medical and dental check ups, will you need health insurance? If sustainable living is one of your goals, check out our post on 10 ways to start.
- Resources include money, expertise, support. Who can help you achieve your goals? Is there anyone you can learn from? Plan to ask them if you can pick their brains over coffee.
Accountability and staying the course
- How will you keep yourself accountable?
- What actions will you take daily to keep yourself on track? How often will you do a debrief?
- How will you embody your true self daily? What actions will I take daily to keep yourself at a high level of vibration? For our thoughts on setting yourself up daily for a great day, check out our blog post on putting your armor on and being unstoppable.
Finally, make sure to know what success means to you. A favorite poem by Ralph Waldo Emerson comes to mind.
Wishing you success on your own terms in 2023! You got this! And we look forward to Armore being part of your journey and you being part of ours. Cheers! 🥂💪🏼💕